Monday, June 21, 2010

Wasting Time

Living with chronic illness often seems like life wasted. As my sweet friend Debbie friend just told me this past weekend, "I keep telling God I could do so much for Him if I was healthier."

In my inbox this morning was this great reminder from Holley Gerth contemplating Christ's life as a carpenter until formal ministry began at age 30, reminding me that God calls me to faithfulness in ever season. God has purpose in extended seasons of waiting and "being still" even if it feels like I should be "doing something" different. May His purpose be fulfilled in my life, be it in bed or where ever else He may call and equip me.

This is another day, O Lord. I know not what it will bring forth, but make me ready, Lord, for whatever it may be. If I am to stand up, help me to stand bravely. If I am to sit still, help me to sit quietly. If I am to lie low, help me to do it patiently. And if I am to do nothing, let me do it gallantly. Make these words more than words, and give me the Spirit of Jesus. Amen.

- from The Book of Common Prayer

"For we are God's workmanship created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."
- Ephesians 2:10

No comments: