Friday, October 8, 2010

Writing with CFS

I am an author. I am living with "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome". When questioned by a doctor last year on my cognitive function, I explained, "I have written one book, but where others could have written it in several months, maybe a year or two, it took me ten." I continually turn down speaking engagements and travel requests because I do not have the stamina for public speaking, nor the strength for travel. Writing is my passion, my therapy, my outlet. But "being a writer" while fighting through this illness isn't an easy road.

In an article called CFS: To Suffering Add Anger, author Llewellyn King writes, "CFS-afflicted authors describe taking years to finish projects that should have taken months. These include Hillary Johnson, whose book “Osler’s Web” is about CFS; Laura Hillenbrand, who wrote the bestseller “Sea Biscuit” while struggling with the disease; and Deborah Waroff, who is writing a book about the Jewish hero Sholom Schwartzbard, but who has found the task dragging on for years, working as she can between severe periods of disability, confined to bed."

Since the above referenced article is one of the only places I've ever seen authors with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome specifically addressed, I just felt it "fit" here on this blog. Thank you for your patience as my own writing efforts slowly grind forward at whatever speed and ability God enables. I would love to see this new book in print by 2015.

No comments: