Tuesday, October 19, 2010

This Isn't Light!

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all."
- 2 Corinthians 4:16-17 (NIV)


I so appreciated Rachel's thoughts on this verse today at (in)Courage. In part she shares:

Light and momentary troubles? There are days when my troubles feel anything but light and momentary! They feel awful and overwhelming. But when I shift my focus from my immediate circumstances to an eternal perspective, I see my troubles for what they truly are: brief. Compared to eternity, this is just a moment. Suffering is only for a time; it will one day end. Heaven will last forever.

Okay, so the troubles of today are brief compared to eternity. I get that. But light? How are these afflictions light? They feel so heavy. My body grows weaker, and apart from a miracle, it will never function normally again. I can’t be the wife and mother for my family that I want to be. This isn’t light; this is huge...

To read more, including her resolution to these questions, please visit Rachel's website, One Day at a Time (living in weakness, resting in grace, waiting in hope), or (in)Courage. :)

No comments: