Thursday, February 17, 2011

Chronic Lifestyle

I would truly love you feedback on how illness has impacted the big picture of your life, be it not marring or having kids, a change in educational or career goals, a new direction you never thought you would take (but maybe find you love more than you expected), or anything you would like me to consider about big life decisions or lifestyle choices that are changed by your health. Please share your joys, frustrations, victories, struggles, eye-opening realizations, heartaches and achievements. I truly want to know! You input may help shape the direction of my book and is highly appreciated.

How has your illness impacted the decisions you make concerning daily life? Do you find yourself making choices that surprise you or surprise others in spite of, or sometimes specifically because off, your health needs? I'm curious to know where you "push" yourself, what dreams you let go of because of your body's demands, what things you do anyway, but maybe differently? How is your life impacted so that it differs from what you pictured before illness? In what areas have you been able to thankfully maintain normalcy? In what ways are any differences actually a blessing and in what ways are they are disappointments or sources of discouragement?

I've been thinking about all of this since recently posting resources and recording a radio interview about our family's choice to homeschool (sometimes "bedschool") while living with XMRV. For us, homeschooling is a path we probably would have taken anyway, but the challenges and blessings are both multiplied by the realities of my body's daily unpredictability. I am eager to hear about your daily life and how your health impacts you, both positively and negatively, in both daily and overall lifestyle decisions.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Hi Jenni...I am only moderately affected but there are two things that come to mind for me. 1. I cannot do more things to help the ministry at church. I am embarrassed and feel scared to explain why I can't go to all of the church gatherings and services because I cannot do it without paying a big price.
On the flipside, being sick has made me choose my priorities and say "no", not giving in to the common busy lifestyle that plagues most people in our generation. My illness has also forced me to slow down and enjoy my children in a way I am not sure I ever would have had I been well!
I know myself and I have an over-acheiver, over-extender kind of attitude and I do see the blessings of my illness.
-Jen :)

JenniferSaake.blogspot.com said...

Thanks Jen. Exactly the kinds of input I'm looking for. :)